Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wide Open Space

Not like the Dixie Chicks though. It's the new artsy festival they're having this year in Alice Springs hosted over the May Day weekend. You basically camp out for 3 days, listen to local and national bands, see the late night film festivals, do some Latin dancing and Yoga etc.

I've lived in Alice Springs all my life, and I'm realising at the end of 18 years here, I manage to only have a few really good friends to hang with. There are cliques within cliques now, and I swearsss I had more mates back in Grade10/11. So I'm taking the May Day weekend to challenge and change my social clique restrictions, and hopefully meet some people who have probably also lived in Alice their entire life, but who I've never met. I need a change for these next 11 painful months before I ship off to UNI in Adelaide, because I'm sick of this town.

I've had 3 jobs during my gap year, and I've quit them all. Am I too picky or did I actually have legit reasons for leaving them all? You tell me.

Job Number Uno: Centre Refrigeration (this is the one I worked at the longest)

I did filing, answering phones, making invoices - all that jazz. But I wasn't getting enough hours, or enough pay. So I ended up quitting after a few months. Fair effort on my part.

Job Number Dos: Spotless Airport Cafe 

Serving, cleaning the tables, washing a FUCKLOAD of dishes, making coffees, restocking, and cleaning everything in sight. Very shitty pay, and since I'm a lazy fuck and don't drive, it was difficult trying to get people to drive me out to the airport, especially when I had weird shifts from 10am-2pm, or long shifts from 8am-6pm. I quit this job after 2 weeks.

Job Number Tres: Red Ochre Grill Restaraunt

I initially thought this job was going to be awesome. I'd worked in a restaraunt before, so I had experience, and I was on a salary of 33 grand a year. But the contract turned out to be pretty shit. I wasn't payed for overtime (which I did a lot of), I didn't get paid extra for public holidays, and I also wasn't allowed to take any leave (includes Finke, this trip to Brisbane I'm taking at the end of May, my birthday...) Pretty ridiculous I thought, so I also quit there after less than 2 weeks. 

But I have a job interview today! At Gloria Jean's. So I'll be around one of my true loves (COFFEEEEEE!) all the time, and plus - the staff that work there already knowww me! FUN ALL AROUND. Let's just hope this interview goes well, huh. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment